Fresh program implementation – consumer ready
Supported multiple retailers (ranging from 50 to 800 stores and $1.0 to $11.5 billion in revenue) with the development of Consumer Ready programs to solve the rapidly changing fresh meat industry challenges including:
- Consumer Demand: Shopping, cooking and eating preferences are more diverse than ever and include higher expectations of service (in-stock position), quality, variety and value for a meat department.
- Competitive Pressures: Consumers have more traditional and non-traditional channel options than ever before.
- Product Quality: In-store produced items vary in specification and quality, creating inconsistent shopping and eating experiences.
- Labor Constraints: Skilled labor has declined in the last 20 years and retailers are not able to keep pace with demand.
- Regulatory Changes: Country of origin and supply chain traceability requirements are substantially changing the operating requirements and costs for the retail channel.
The retailers’ legacy P&L structures and management constraints (Merchandising vs. Operations) make assessing the true opportunity of Consumer Ready Meat program difficult to identify and accurately quantify.
Consumer Ready Program Design: Supported the development of a Fresh Meat strategy to guide the detailed product specification development, financial analysis and impact and gained organizational consensus for implementation.
Program Launch Support: Developed the consumer ready training content, rollout plan and executed associate training.
Ongoing Management and Execution: Implemented Radian performance tools to measure ongoing results, ensure expectations are achieved and course correct as needed.
Sales and volume growth of +6% to +10% growth through improved in-stock position and department conditions.
Increased margin driven by improved category and department sales and reduced shrink of over +50%.
Improved customer experience and loyalty by shifting labor from production to a customer service focus.